Tuesday, July 14, 2020

An Ecuadorian New Year

Mikel Carr and I had almost nonexistent plans for a short Ecuador trip in late December 2019 and the first few days of 2020.  I say “almost nonexistent” because we really did nothing except buy plane tickets and set up a ride from the airport... but beyond that, we had done no planning. This is my normal MO at all. Sometimes I can be an over-planner and an over-packer, in part because I take comfort in knowing I am prepared. However, this trip was the opposite. We knew we had other friends whose time there would overlap with ours and we were ready to follow their lead and just go with the flow (pun intended). 

Luckily for us, my friends Drew Armstrong and Samanthan Brunner were going to be there for most of our trip.  Drew had spend alot of time in Ecuador over 9 different trips and another good fiend Mark Kieran was living in Tena at the time and had offered to show us around a bit in that area.  The whole trip was a whirlwind and was over before we knew it. Looking back at the footage I realized there were several runs I had no footage of at all and the whole experience seemed like a quick glance at the country, the culture, and the rivers. We certainly have a lot more to learn and experience and the only solution is a return trip, hopefully for a longer stay this time. 



I certainly owe a special thanks to Drew and Mark for sharing their knowledge of Ecuador and showing us the lines… on and off the water.  You guys really made the trip as good as it was and I can't thank you enough!

Until Next Time...

Adam Goshorn

No comments: